Tłı̨chǫ Government COVID-19 Update
Behchokǫ̀, NT (April 2, 2020) – the Tłı̨chǫ Government Offices remain closed; however, employees are working from home in keeping with the recommendations of our NWT Chief Public Health Officer.
The Tłı̨chǫ Government is working closely with organizations and other governments to provide continue support and an ongoing response to the COVID-19 epidemic.
COVID-19 aid programs include:
- On-the-Land Assistance Program - The assistance will cover $175 of gas and $225 of groceries, for citizens on the land longer than 10 days you can apply again. This is for family units that have a means to go out on the land.
- Hamper/Care Packages – Packages will be delivered to each household in Behchokǫ̀, Whatı̀, Gamètı̀, Wekweètı̀, and Yellowknife; beginning with Elders and those in most need. Packages will be redone as groceries become available in the communities.
- Emergency Requests – Tłı̨chǫ citizens in emergency need; still being reviewed.
- Calls to check on Elders – Elders will receive a call 1 to 2 times a week. We ask how are they doing, we share how they are to stay healthy during this time, and let them know of the COVID-19 programs that are available through the Tłı̨chǫ Government. Any health and wellness concerns our Elders share are relayed to the TCSA for follow up and follow through.
- Extending hours to Behchokǫ̀ Homeless Centre
- Providing spruce bows to households in the Tłı̨chǫ Communities – to freshen up the air in the home (simmer on stove) and strain for tea.
“I realize that this is a difficult time for many people and it is easy to get anxious and even frightened. By staying focused on the positives, together we can get through this epidemic. The important thing to remember is that this will end, we will get better and until that happens, we must work together by supporting each other in Tłı̨chǫ unity as our ancestors have done when faced with a crisis.” - Grand Chief George Mackenzie.