Tłı̨chǫ Government COVID-19 Aid
Behchokǫ̀, NT (March 27, 2020) - The Tłı̨chǫ Government has approved aid programs for Tłı̨chǫ citizens living in the Mǫwhì Gogha Dè Nı̨ı̨tłèè area in response to the global COVID-19 outbreak. The programs are intended to protect the health and safety of Tłı̨chǫ citizens.
The Tłı̨chǫ Government COVID-19 aid programs include:
- On-the-Land Assistance Program- The program includes gas and groceries assistance.
- Hamper/Care Packages – Packages will be delivered to each household in Behchokǫ̀, Whatı̀, Gamètı̀, Wekweètı̀, and Yellowknife.
- Emergency Requests – Tłı̨chǫ citizens in emergency need can request assistance.
The Tłı̨chǫ Government is working closely with organizations and other governments to provide support and an ongoing response to the COVID-19 epidemic. Current initiatives include:
- Extending hours to Behchokǫ̀ Homeless Centre
- Calling elders in the Tłı̨chǫ communities
These are in addition to the many supports being provided by our partners at the Tłı̨chǫ Community Services Agency and Tłı̨chǫ Community Governments.
During this unprecedented time, the Tłı̨chǫ Government Offices remain closed, however employees are working from home in keeping with the recommendations of our NWT Chief Public Health Officer.
The Tłı̨chǫ Government will continue to evaluate the situation and will take further action as required to prioritize the health and safety of Tłı̨chǫ citizens.
“I realize that this is a difficult time for many people and it is easy to get anxious and even frightened. It is a time to work together. The important thing to remember is that this will end, we will get better and that until that happens, we must work together, in unity, and help each other”. Grand Chief George Mackenzie.
For up to date information on COVID-19 visit:
For more information, contact: