April 13, 2021
Tłı̨chǫ Winter Road System Closure - 48hr Notice
On behalf of GNWT - North Slave Regional Superintendent please be advised of the following:
The Tłı̨chǫ Winter Road system, serving the communities of Whatì, Gamètì, and Wekweètì̀, will be closed for the season on Thursday April 15, 2021, at 10:00 am MST
All travelers are required to be safely at their destination prior to closure; Travel will not be permitted anywhere on the Tłįchǫ winter roads after Thursday April 15, 2021, at 10:00 am MST.
Commencing Tuesday April 13 at 10:00 PM MST the Tłı̨chǫ Winter Road system will be restricted to NIGHT TRAVEL ONLY; starting Tuesday evening the Tłı̨chǫ Winter Road will only be open from 10:00 PM until 10:00 AM daily.
Commencing Wednesday morning at 10:00 am; travel is not permitted between the hours of 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.
The Whatì Winter Road is open to 50,000 Kilograms Gross Vehicle Weight.
The Gamètì Winter Road is open to 44,000 Kilograms Gross Vehicle Weight.
The Wekweètì Winter Road is open to 30,000 Kilograms Gross Vehicle Weight:
All North Slave Tłı̨chǫ Winter Roads:
- Due to warmer daytime temperatures and increased solar load; anticipate slippery sections throughout the winter road system.
- Please watch for rough areas on portages and lakes; slow down when meeting oncoming traffic;
- Watch and slow down for construction and maintenance equipment working along all sections of the winter road;
- Please note the maximum speed limit throughout the Tłı̨chǫ Winter Road system is 50 Km/h;
- Maximum speed limit for commercial loads on all water bodies is 30 Km/h;
- All commercial traffic is requested to call Portage numbers on Public channel Ladd 1.
Please use caution on all NWT Winter Roads.