Tłı̨chǫ Winter Road - 72 Hour’s Notice of Closure
With warmer weather forecasted to be well above zero next week; along with the potential for quickly deteriorating portages the Tłı̨chǫ winter road system could CLOSE for the season within 72 hours.
- Please schedule to complete all re-supply loads to the Communities by no later than Monday evening April 12th, 2021.
The Whatì Winter Road is open to 50,000 Kilograms Gross Vehicle Weight.
The Gamètì Winter Road is open to 44,000 Kilograms Gross Vehicle Weight.
The Wekweètì Winter Road is open to 30,000 Kilograms Gross Vehicle Weight:
- Please watch for a short section of single lane traffic at Portage 229 (Km 193 area);
- Watch for overflow areas on portages 225 and 226 (between Km 122 and 124).
All North Slave Tłįchǫ Winter Roads:
- Watch for Commercial Transport re-supply Trucks:
- Please use extra caution when traveling on Portages;
- Please be patient when meeting heavy transport trucks, and give them as much room as possible.
- Due to warmer daytime temperatures and increased solar load; anticipate slippery sections throughout the winter road system.
- Please watch for rough areas on portages and lakes; slow down when meeting oncoming traffic;
- Watch and slow down for construction and maintenance equipment working along all sections of the winter road;
- Please note the maximum speed limit throughout the Tłįchǫ Winter Road system is 50 Km/h;
- Maximum speed limit for commercial loads on all water bodies is 30 Km/h;
- All commercial traffic is requested to call Portage numbers on Public channel Ladd 1.
Please use caution on all NWT Winter Roads.
Posted on behalf of the Department of Infrastructure.