Behchokǫ̀ (May 10, 2021) - Tłı̨chǫ Grand Chief George Mackenzie and Northwest Territories Premier Caroline Cochrane would like to encourage Tłı̨chǫ citizens and residents to do their part in protecting Tłı̨chǫ communities against COVID by getting the vaccine.
These past two weeks, we have seen how quickly COVID-19 can show up and spread in our communities. The number of cases in children was an important reminder for how vulnerable we are if the virus spreads far and wide. We are pleased to now be able to offer the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to protect Behchokǫ̀ youth who are 12 to 17 years old. A clinic for youth is taking place at the Behchokǫ̀ Sportsplex on Tuesday, May 11, 2021.
The vaccine is the North’s best defense we have against COVID-19. It works very well by preventing 94% of people from getting the virus. This is very strong and important medicine and there are few vaccines in the world that work this well.
If enough people get vaccinated, it can help to prevent the virus from spreading across the Tłı̨chǫ region and protect those who are not yet able to get the vaccine such as young children. We need more people in the Tłı̨chǫ region to get the vaccine to be confident that Tłı̨chǫ people will be protected from COVID.
The Tłı̨chǫ Government has been working together with the Tłı̨chǫ Community Services Agency to make sure Tłı̨chǫ people have access to good information about the vaccine and opportunities to get vaccinated. The Community Action Research Team is leading efforts to reach out to young people in the community to encourage them to get vaccinated. It is our priority to make sure you have access to the vaccine, information about the vaccine, and support from the health care workers to make the best decisions for your community and families.
Taking care of each other is the Northern and Tłı̨chǫ way of life. We do our part to take of others, especially our children and elders. Please don’t wait for COVID to bring harm to our communities before you consider getting vaccinated. Now is the time to get the vaccine to protect yourselves, your families and your community from COVID. Don’t wait, vaccinate!
- The next Moderna clinic for adults in Behchokǫ̀ is on May 10, 2021, you can contact the Health Centre at 392-6075 for more information.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine clinic for Behchokǫ̀ youth aged 12-17 is on May 11, 2021, you can contact the Health Centre at 396-6075 for more information.
- Additional dates for vaccine clinics in Gamètì, Wekweètì, and Whatì will be announced soon.
- In scientific studies:
- The Moderna vaccine has shown to protect 94% of people from getting COVID.
- The Pfizer vaccine has shown to protect 95% of people 12 years and older from getting COVID.
- In those people who still get COVID-19 after getting the vaccine; both vaccines help to prevent severe disease and hospitalization almost 100% of the time.
For more information, contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories