June 29, 2020
Intergovernmental Meeting between Tłı̨chǫ Government and GNWT
YELLOWKNIFE (June 26, 2020) – Premier Caroline Cochrane, Minister Diane Thom, Minister R.J. Simpson, Minister Shane Thompson, Minister Katrina Nokleby, Minister Caroline Wawzonek, and Minister Paulie Chinna met with the Tłı̨chǫ Government Grand Chief George Mackenzie, Chief Clifford Daniels, Chief David Wedawin, Chief Charlie Football, and Chief Alfonz Nitsiza via teleconference on June 26, 2020.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- Infrastructure and Procurement in Mǫwhì Gogha Dè Nı̨ı̨tłèè.
- Behchokǫ̀ Market Rental Housing Request
- Tłı̨chǫ Government-GNWT Housing Working Group
- Indigenous Child and Family Services Act
- Review of Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA) Transitional Provisions under the Devolution Agreement
- Lotteries Act
- Caribou Management
- Wolf Management
The GNWT and the Tłı̨chǫ Government re-affirmed their commitment to their partnership in advancing the Tłı̨chǫ All-Season Road project and future infrastructure projects. Both governments acknowledged the significant economic and social opportunities these projects will bring to the Tłı̨chǫ region and Northerners.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Tłı̨chǫ Government and the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least twice per year.
- The Working Together: Tłı̨chǫ Government/GNWT Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding was initially signed in June 2012 and was renewed in 2014 and most recently in December 2018.
For more information, contact:
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Sr. Advisor, Sustainability and Resource Management