December 1, 2020
Intergovernmental Meeting between Tłı̨chǫ Government and GNWT
YELLOWKNIFE (Nov 30, 2020) – Premier Caroline Cochrane, Minister Diane Archie, Minister R.J. Simpson, Minister Shane Thompson, Minister Caroline Wawzonek, Minister Julie Green, and Minister Paulie Chinna met with the Tłı̨chǫ Government Grand Chief George Mackenzie, Chief Clifford Daniels, Chief David Wedawin, Chief Charlie Football, and Chief Alfonz Nitsiza on November 27, 2020 in Yellowknife, NT.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including collaboration on:
- responding to COVID-19 in the NWT, and working together to keep residents safe,
- the implementation of the Tłı̨chǫ Infrastructure Cooperation Agreement,
- the proposed Whatı̀ Fibre Optic Line,
- a working group to address potential land use pressures along the Tłı̨chǫ Highway corridor,
- maximizing housing opportunities, including funding opportunities,
- marking the 100th anniversary of the signing of Treaty 11 in 1921,
- establishing an NWT Council of Leaders Multilateral Forum,
- establishing a sub-working group under the Infrastructure Cooperation Agreement with the purpose of improving the road alignment to Gamètı̀ and Wekweètı̀,
- policing and community safety in Tłı̨chǫ communities,
- the implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in the NWT,
- shared priorities with the federal government, where appropriate, and
- barren-ground caribou management.
By working in collaboration, the two governments have been able to address important issues impacting Tłı̨chǫ citizens.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Tłı̨chǫ Government and the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least twice per year.
- The Working Together: Tłı̨chǫ Government/GNWT Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding was initially signed in June 2012 and was renewed in 2014 and most recently in December 2018.
For more information, contact:
Todd Sasaki Communications Advisor Government of the Northwest Territories 867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Zabey Nevitt Director (Interim), Department of Planning and Partnerships, Tłı̨chǫ Government Tel: 867-766-4003